Monday, March 7, 2011

PHIL COLLINS RETIRING- OR NOT?

Seriously...

He is officially retiring...at least in the present.

It is kind of bittersweet for me because I grew up listening to Genesis- thanks to my older uncles musical influence and especially when Phil took over for Peter Gabriel in 1976.

Since the time I just had a few pubic hairs Phil Collins has been a big part of my musical life- not that I am a musician but his work with Genesis and subsequent solo career had produced so many songs that are ingrained in my mind and that bring back memories of the time period they were out.

I know we all get older. Phil just turned 60 on January 30th this year. I know that things cannot last forever but some things, like the talent of this man and the music he gave the world either by himself or in collaboration with the other guys in Genesis, you want to last forever.

Sure the old stuff still exists but I don't think there will be another Phil Collins CD- with fresh studio tracks.

The nerve damage and the hearing impairment just did him in- especially hard on him since he is first and foremost a drummer.

So it really is kind of sad to think that one of my childhood musical heros is calling it quits.

But then again there is more spin on the story today as People magazine reports that he is "just calling it quits for now" and quotes a UK rep as saying Phil has " no intention of retiring".

If you like you can right click here to visit his official website and read what he wrote about retiring.

If you like Mowtown you will like this CD:


This is probably his last original solo song- unless he gets the itch later on to do another studio album


And this was the LAST track on the LAST Genesis album in 1992- My God, it is nearly 20 years since the last album was released...where the hell has the time gone?




"LIKE THE STORY THAT WE WISH WAS NEVER ENDING
WE KNOW SOMETIME WE MUST REACH THE FINAL PAGE
STILL WE CARRY ON JUST PRETENDING
THAT THERE'LL ALWAYS BE ONE MORE DAY TO GO"

los endos


No comments:

Post a Comment