Friday, December 18, 2009

I NEED SNOW CHARLIE BROWN

I have lived in Southern California for a while now and it still is so hard to get into the holiday spirit.

I grew up in New York State so we almost always had freezing cold Decembers and most years we had a good amount of snow on the ground.

I guess people that never lived in the north don't notice the difference but for me I was psychologically more able to get jolly and full of Christmas cheer when I would be all bundled up and shaking snow off my boots!

Plus in the dead of real winter cuddling was especially welcome when I had a boyfriend or just a friend with benefits hanging out with me.

One thing that does help remind me that it is the holiday season is Charlie Brown. That sounds strange I know but it brings back lots of memories and in the still warm during the day climate San Diego it is as close to snow as I can get!

I love this bit of dialogue:

Charlie Brown: [Charlie Brown and Linus stop at a wall on their trip to the pond for ice skating] I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus. Christmas is coming, but I'm not happy. I don't feel the way I'm supposed to feel.

[begins to walk with Linus again]

Charlie Brown: I just don't understand Christmas, I guess. I like getting presents and sending Christmas cards and decorating trees and all that, but I'm still not happy. I always end up feeling depressed.

Linus Van Pelt: Charlie Brown, you're the only person I know who can take a wonderful season like Christmas and turn it into a problem. Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest.

So without further delay here is CHARLIE BROWN!



No comments:

Post a Comment